This is a really nice set.. Many thanks indeed.
I haven't really looked in at any depth, but I had a good peep before I put the back, back on, and I'm impressed with the build quality of the cabinet
, which is excellent.
The chassis has a lovely layer of dust which reveals nice clean metalwork beneath.. It shows no sign of previous repairs (as yet anyway), but I am itching to replace that particular cap you referred to lastnight, and see what happens.
I'll probably kick off with repairing the channel knob, even if just to simplify the task of knowing which channel we're on!
Now, for everyone else' benefit... We just had to give it the beans, didn't we?
So, we took a hybrid approach to this... Not my own usual reserved slow wake up, but then not full on power approach neither.
In our eagerness to see first light, "we" skipped the snipping out of the filter cap
, and brought up the volts on the variac over about ten or fifteen minutes (well, Marc and Till did!) until there were signs of life.. I have to confess, I couldn't really hear the line whistle (tinnitus and all that), but there was a healthy flame of EHT from the rectifier top-cap.. A minute or so of Till adjusting the ion trap, and voila! we had a raster - First light.
Next job was to bring on the Aurora, and find a channel, and there we had it, a bit distorted (frame linearity) but bright and healthy testcard. *** More on the electronics later ***
Prior to this, we had a little French polishing lesson - courtesy of one of my cats!
and that is an artform in its own right.. I know Marc has done this kind of work before, and watching Till at work on the cabinet
was quite absorbing and interesting, just to see that shine reappear from the polish (naughty puddy-tat, put paw marks all over it) with nothing more than methylated spirits and linseed oil, Till recovered the shine.
In the fulness of time, I will begin a thread on this set, and will see how well I can restore the electronics, though it shouldn't be difficult.