It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:59 pm

Panasonic DMR-EX85 - U80/81

Panasonic DMR-EX85 - U80/81

Post by AidanLunn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:36 pm

Hello all

I know that this fault can be caused by a faulty microprocessor receiving spurious signals such as hash from mains or reception issues causing the firmware to go gaa-gaa, but I wanted a second opinion on this wierd scenario. It can also be caused by a faulty microprocessor, too.

I have moved my DMR-EX85 down from Bradford to Sheffield in one day. Working in Bradford at about lunchtime, unplugged, taken home via coach, then upon placing it into the same extension lead and using the same figure of 8 lead as my old DMR-ES20D, it had problems starting up.

This was yesterday. After a few failed attempts I did manage to get it started up - the hard drive worked and it otherwise worked as it should. The clock self-adjusted itself so it wasn't a case of C1530 and C1533 packing up.

I've unplugged the aerial so it's not receiving corrupted crap over the airwaves, I've tried changing socket and lead just in the odd chance that the fault lies there, switched off both my TV and VCR and totally unplugged them - still no solution.

I'm suspecting that this is a capacitor issue - possibly a cap only used at start-up, as I don;t think it ever saw an actual removal of mains power in all the time it was there.

It most commonly displays U81, but U80 has been seen occasionally.

Re: Panasonic DMR-EX85 - U80/81

Post by Katie Bush » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:51 pm

I wish I could say I had the answer, but sadly, I don't.. However, you're not alone.. My Sony RDR-HX525 HDD/DVD recorder developed a strange, and very similar, fault just yesterday, and once I'd got it powered up, I dare not turn it off!

I suspect a cap problem in the SMPSU, or the control circuitry.. In my case, it appears to start up, displaying "WELCOME" for a few seconds, then immediately goes into shutdown mode, displaying "POWER OFF" for a few seconds.. I can override the automatic shutdown by starting up the recorder by pressing the Power button, and holding it down until the "WELCOME" disappears.. However, once it's powered up, the HDD, tuner, A/V inputs etc all work, but the DVD drive cannot read any discs.

Does that ring any bells with your machine?

Marion

Post by AidanLunn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:11 pm

Mine does do something similar.

plug in
boots with "Hello" or "please wait"
Hear the HDD spin up
stays on for ages
Diagnoses U80 or U81, HDD spins down
Displays that for about 10 minutes
laser in disc drive heard to move
HDD heard to spin up
unit restarts and begins cycle

I'm power cycling it again for the third or fourth time tonight.

I have heard on the AV Forums grapevine that these Panny units can be corrupted by any exposure to any electromagnetic mess, whether that be from RF or mains hash. Wifi internet, mains hash, faulty light switches, showers etc. Even neighbours' appliances.

(If that is the case, then my neighbours and Neighbours would both be the cause of me not watching TV! :=D )

Post by Norman-Raeburn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:39 pm

Hi, There are a few known problems on these machines for the error code U80/81, C1530 a 100uf 25v capacitor which is fitted beneath the digital board. If the problem continues, IC1508 an MD5001 which is fitted on the underside of the digital board. This ic is a surface mount device. I am sure there are people selling kits for this problem on ebay. Regards, Norman

Post by Red_to_Black » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Hi Aidan,
I will dig out the error codes in a bit, I will also have a look at the manual + any tech. bulletins and see which, if any caps need replacing. :thumbl:

Edit; just seen Normans post above, and I may have already posted the tech. bulletins for this model on the other site.

Edit II: Aidan, I have e-mailed you the tech. bulletins, as I cannot post Pdf's on here, and the forum limits the size of the pictures. :thumbl:

Post by Alastair » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:06 am

I have a DMR-EX75 that I got around 4 years ago--At the tip--Complete with a few good films on the HDD, and some home-movies--that I erased.

It was a cap, forget which one, in the centre of the main board. It was pretty obvious which one it was,--It had leaked slightly. 220uF rings a bell, apparently in a DC/DC converter stage, which these things seem to have a few of...
--The fault was--No freeview function, and U summit or other coming up.

To replace it though involved a Complete and full dismantling of the set to remove the main bottom board....

Its been fine ever since, although doesn't like home-made DVD's which sometimes pause for a second, then re-play the previous 2 seconds and carry on as if nothings happened... :roll:

Post by neil1974 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:19 am

Ive got a DMR EZ48V and the dvd recorder/player works fine. but the freeview and the vhs deck do not?. could anyone give me an idea where to look :=D or is it not worth the bother. thanks,Neil.

Post by Red_to_Black » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:27 am

I will have a look for you Neil, but again IIRC this was also partly cap troubles, I may have the info. on this computer. :thumbl:

Post by Red_to_Black » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:56 am

Hi Neil,
The only info. apart from the manual, I have on this model (DMR EZ48V) is:

Low 5V C1236(680uF @ 6.3V) and C1209(680UF @ 25V), replace both, and a firmware update, which can cause more trouble than enough if the machine is still faulty, ie. if it fails mid update.

Return to Black & White Television