It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:58 pm

The Tale of 7 Televisions... Ooops

The Tale of 7 Televisions... Ooops

Post by jskinner97 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:50 pm

Well, This is an interesting one. I spoke to my workshop landlord as he owns some garages behind the workshop and said i'd be looking to rent one in the near future to house the Capri.

Sure enough, one came up. So he rung and said he'd be down there this morning at 9:30 as he had some ashpalt being delivered to re-do the road. Anyhow, I arrived. And straight away the trailer of his old M reg rover was full to the brim of 80s tvs he had dragged out of this lockup - clearing it prior to me renting it! I stopped him there, and said i'd take the lot lol! 7 sets in total. There was also 100m of coax on a roll new, some old snooker balls and an old petrol can. Plusa 1980s microwave, and a 90s microwave. Saved him a job anyway!

Now, on with the sets. Most with the exception of the grundig seem to be late 80s TVs and all high spec all singing models with teletext etc.
Firstly there's a very large Pioneer set, something i've never seen before sadly looks like the CRT hasn't faired well! Next to it is a set with seemingly no maker, but it boasts the fact it has an "Automatic Voltage Finder"!

Next up, The Grundig seems like a good condition set, and will scrub up well.

there's a Hitachi, sadly the back is smashed up and the model number has ran away. I initially thought the CRT was toast but on further inspection it seems the CRT is just very badly scratched. The CRT base PCB is also very smashed up. So it may be a write-off sadly...

The Panasonic's cabinet has collapsed ontop as it seems to have had something heavy on it. But the fablon type material isn't damaged so with some clever bracing it may survive yet.

The other two sets are good nick all round with a good clean up

So... Fun and games, Not many sets here Chris would like though i'm sure! :qq1 Now, what to do with them... I have no idea. Looks like my lockup will be full before i've even started!

Re: The Tale of 7 Televisions... Ooops

Post by crustytv » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:01 pm

Good for you Jamie, as far as I'm aware nobody in the UK is preserving or documenting the 80s - 90s era sets so you may be on to something. These sets although not my area of interest, undoubtedly deserve to have their story told.

Post by PYE625 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:06 pm

Seeing them takes me back to the mid to late 80's......The Hitachi was the same model of set I bought from the co-op ex-rental for my aunt and uncle to replace their aging Bush BC6318 A823....and there happens to be one of them on ebay right now :bba

The model of the Hitachi escapes me now, but it served them until the analogue switch off.
The Grundig looks good and will be nice to see that working :qq1

Post by Katie Bush » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:29 pm

CrustyTV wrote:Good for you Jamie, as far as I'm aware nobody in the UK is preserving or documenting the 80s - 90s era sets so you may be on to something. These sets although not my area of interest, undoubtedly deserve to have their story told.

Well said, and in a similar vein, I have a small stash of Sony TVs from the 80's up to mid 90's - not worth a meg, right now, but one day will have a niche to fill, and unlike the days when our 405 lines sets were disbanded because the service was switched off, and the sets squirrelled away in attics and spare rooms, these "modern" sets were simple dumped in favour of more modern (DTTV, flat panel and increasingly higher definition) and leaving little or no footprint to say they ever existed.. I won't be around to see it, but I could envisage a day when a humble early 1990's CTV could be even rarer than the 1950's sets we all adore, and potentially rarer than our early colour heritage - a bit tongue in cheek, perhaps, but then who, in the early 1970's would ever have thought a G6 would be attracting a price tag around £600 here in the early 21st Century?

You go for it, Jamie, because these will be your 'equivalent' to us 'old fogies' collections of 1950's sets. :aad

Post by Katie Bush » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:45 pm

Just as an aside, what is the brown microwave? It looks very much like a Sharp, or maybe Panasonic.

As it happens, they too could be worth saving! :aad

Post by Lloyd » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:14 pm

Nicely saved there Jamie! I too have a stash of 80's and 90's telly's, mostly portables, most came from the tip in 2004/2005 when I could still get them from there for a fiver a set, except when one guy was there and would let me have them cheaper! As has been said, they may be completely worthless now, but they are becoming increasingly rarer day by day, especially the larger sets. One set of mine was our very own living room TV from 1987 until 2006 now that's a long run! After all those years of good service my Dad was all too happy to sling it down the tip, so when he wasn't looking I dragged it into the workshop and piled loads of heavy stuff on top of it! The set in question was an ex-display Toshiba 21" with 'FST' and was still working when I ran off with it, albeit with dodgy channel selectors, a crackly volume pot, and a tube with an odd green patch in one corner which was probably caused by the postman shoving a parcel containing a reel of hose pipe through the open window straight at it.

I suppose the Hitachi could be repaired if you were really bored and have some serious patience! As for the Pioneer, maybe have to pinch a tube from another set for that one! The automatic voltage finder TV looks interesting, maybe some clues to who made it can be found inside?

Regards,
Lloyd.

Post by jskinner97 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:41 pm

Katie Bush wrote:Just as an aside, what is the brown microwave? It looks very much like a Sharp, or maybe Panasonic.

As it happens, they too could be worth saving! :aad

Probably a sharp I have an identical one In the workshop in use im saving those too.

Funny though how this is 500ft away from my workshop, and I never knew about it the magic of lock up garages eh!

Post by ianj » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:47 pm

The 80s Philips and the 70s Grundig are well worth perspersevering with

Post by ntscuser » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:54 am

Jamie wrote:Firstly there's a very large Pioneer set, something i've never seen before

We had a 28" Pioneer in the showroom for demonstrating laserdiscs. It had the worst PAL colour I've ever seen, you had to be colour-blind to green to stand it. It was fine on NTSC though, which is mostly what we used it for. I think it was aimed at the karaoke market?

Post by AidanLunn » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:15 am

That Automatic Voltage Finder set looks late 70s/Early 80s American to me (or maybe Japanese for the American market with the PAL market as an afterthought).

Post by Doz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:43 am

I seem to remember those Pioneer sets being fitted with the ICC5 chassis ... best of luck.

Post by sideband » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:45 am

The 80's Philips set could be the CP110 chassis, I'd probably be able to tell from the model number. If it's the later G110....hmmmm might have a problem with that as it's all surface mounted and a bit of a pig to fix....especially if some ham-fisted fixer has been there before. I doubt the repair kits for those are still available....

The CP110 on the other hand is fairly easily repairable and if the CRT is good, it will perform well.

Post by Cathovisor » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:16 am

We used to use those Philips sets as floor monitors and low-quality stack monitors in my studio at one time. Fine for what they were.

Post by Rebel Rafter » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi from RR. It looks like someone's whacked the pioneer with one of those snooker balls! I fixed a pioneer set once, I had to replace a great big expensive video routing chip in it, great big 40 pin thing, can't remember the type. The Panasonic is a U5 series. I know as I had one once exactly the same, TX5500 and I couldn't get any colour on it as a little chroma filter, a Panasonic special had failed, plenty of clean video going in at one end but nowt coming out at the o/p. It also killed off it's LOPTx for some unknown reason and it did the same with a new one so it ended up scrapped. It also uses the TDA3562. Is the hitachi one of the NP8x series? there was one of those with a tube with fancy separate heaters or filaments that ran from a little ferrite transformer on the tube base, I used to find them bypassed and a more normal tube fitted, I think it was an attempt by hitachi to make some kind of "instant on" feature. There was also another one with opto-isolated AV inputs so look out for that feature. I found the safety system a bit complex on them, a central system with loads of different paths feeding it and they all had to be checked and tested before letting any customers have it. RR.

Post by Colourstar » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:44 pm

Nicely saved Jamie! :aad What an amazing coincidence that you should be there at exactly the right moment.

We had one of those Philips models as our family set in the late 80s and it was no trouble at all. I thought it performed well and was a good looking set. Still do! Our example was badged Pye and come to think of it, that Philips range of sets may have been the last to wear the Pye logo.

The set in your very last photo is a Ferguson, probably a TX100. Well worth saving as even these are thin on the ground now. In fact there may be more examples of the Bush TV22 remaining than there are of some of your sets...

I may have brochures for a couple of your sets. I'll dig them out one evening and scan them later in the week when I have time.

Keep us all posted if you decide to revive any of your new brood!

Steve

Location: North Hykeham, Lincolnshire and Ilford, Essex (but not for much longer ...!)

Post by Terrykc » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:23 am

In another generation's time, virtually no-one will ever have seen a cathode ray tube and they will be a dim and distant memory to those a bit longer in the tooth so, perhaps, Jamie is the ideal custodian of this 'modern' collection.

Very few of us will still be around by then - I certainly won't! - but Jamie will still be a relatively young man.

If he can find sufficient storage space, not to mention spares, he might be in a position to organise a museum demonstrating sets built and used over a very long period from 405-line only sets onwards.

Post by slidertogrid » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:40 pm

Well saved Jamie!
The Panasonic TX550s were marvellous sets in their day. they often went for 15 years without a fault. The main problem was the glue they used to bond the A1 and focus pots to the lopt. It would sometimes go conductive, the focus would drift and jump about while you could see sparks tracking around the pot assembly.
The old glue could be gouged out with a sharp blade and replaced with Araldite. left overnight to harden this provided a complete cure.
The LOPT did sometimes also fail with a short circuit when the sets were getting old the power supply would then buzz and shut down. Apart from that they would usually go without fault until the tube went flat. even then a year or two more could be squeezed out of them by dropping the value of the series resistor in the tube heater supply... :ccg .
It would originally had a tinted plastic door over the controls, they quite often fell off and got lost as the hinges were a bit feeble.
Good luck with the sets!
:aad
Rich.

Post by jskinner97 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:34 pm

The Automatic Voltage Finder set is actually a philips! Missing it's speaker grille.

The Pioneer is going straight up the tip, the tube is necked and it actually has no chassis! :ccf

Post by Lloyd » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:43 pm

Interesting, certainly not a Philips I've seen before! Looks quite a nice set, a temporary solution to the speaker grille could be a piece of wood with some thin black cloth over it stuck in place with double sided tape :bba

What size screen is it?

Regards,
Lloyd

Post by jskinner97 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:50 pm

19" or 20" at a guess?

Post by jskinner97 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:13 pm

Today I did something I hate! I took the Ferguson up the tip, it had been necked after all and to be fair I have no room and kept tripping up it. So it had to go.

I hate waste as you know, but I gave it a chance.

I'd like to think I redeemed myself though as while I was throwing the TV away at the dump, I noticed a very clean looking Vax Filter Hoover in Bright Orange! I have another at home and they're great, so I Erm "acquired" it while no one was looking...

Got it back to the workshop, it says on the PAT test sticker it came from a local holiday camp.

Do you know what it needed? The filter CLEANING causing poor suction! That's ALL!
Such a wasteful world, but in throwing something away i rescued something else useful.

Post by PYE625 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:50 pm

I never dare go to the tip now, I always come back with more than I had taken :bba

Return to Black & White Television